the first week
1.01 - 1.07
Real talk? I've already fallen off a few of my goals (ha ha). For the first time in a long time of goal setting, I'm ok with it. It used to be that when I set a goal, like a new diet or workout plan, I would give up if I even messed up once. I wanted to accomplish my goal perfectly. But not having room for any mistakes was stifling and, in the end, ineffectual. So rather than abandon my wishes altogether, I plan on readjusting and resetting at the end of January. But regardless of the goals I set, it has been a nice, rather cold (thanks bomb cyclone), start to the new year.
It's been a rather relaxed week, likely due to the below freezing temperatures, which have me cuddled up on the sofa watching all the Harry Potters. (They just released them on HBO and needless to say, I'm thrilled). So, not much else to report other than I've started practicing French again and mon français est un peu rouillé (annnd that is likely incorrect).
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas — A book that is as devastating as it is important
- Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney — This novel isn't for everyone; it's quite introspective with more emphasis on prose than plot but I really enjoyed it. If you like Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler, I'd give this a try.
- Speaking of New Year's goals: Why You Should Make an Anti-Resolution List
- The 50 Funniest Tweets From Women in 2017
- Time's Top 100 Photos of 2017 (Sadly, decidedly not funny)
- 2017 Word of the Year
- And finally, this is from a bit ago, but I want to share this incredible reactive piece to "Cat Person" by my fave writer at Man Repeller, Haley.